Saturday, November 18, 2006

Why should I go back to Malaysia? Part 2
I didn't expect the vast readers' response from the first post, and it is hard to write a reply for each and everyone, so I might as well post up another entry to clear up a few points, as well as linking some related articles.
First of all, I wanted to stay back overseas, but I am not encouraging all Malaysians to do the same, and running propagandas about Malaysia sucks. I said it before and I will say it again, it's a personal preference. I have seen so many people give up their PR status and go back to Malaysia because of various reasons. Like many of you have said, Malaysia is where you call home. Unlike some of my friends, I have enjoyed (and still am) my time here in Melbourne. I can get used to the life and weather here, and I didn’t (or haven’t) felt mistreated or discriminated.
Secondly, according to Tomatoinc, "the primary reason given by the 'emigrators' is that foreign countries provide them with equal opportunities in education, employment and chances to get rich.", and from my first post it seems like I agree with that proclamation. However, I really do think that people do not want to work in Malaysia not because they don’t earn enough, but rather because they feel mistreated, or not appreciated by the government. I wrote an entry about "The agony of Malaysian athlete" quite sometime ago, and mentioned that the Malaysian government does not give a damn about a person until he/she becomes successful or famous. When a country doesn’t provide help and support to those who need it, why would those people want to go back and contribute to the society? The post in Hustler’s diaries says it all.
My STPM results were pretty average, 2 Bs and 2 Cs for the science stream. UM rejected my application for the course of computer science, but they offered me Environmental Science in UNIMAS. I was one of those lucky ones who can afford to spend my parents’ money to study overseas. Some of my other friends who scored 3 As and 1 B didn’t get the course they wanted as well, but do not have the luxury of rejecting it to study in a private college. Another friend of mine scored 4 As but failed to receive any offer for a Medical course from any local university. But then he received an overseas scholarship and went abroad. I met him when I was back in Malaysia last Chinese New Year, and asked him if he was coming back to Malaysia. He said “to work for these [censored], are you kidding me?” There are a lot more similar stories from all the middle class Malaysian Chinese and Indians, so many of them that we give up questioning our rights of being a Malaysian.
There are many more issues that made me decide to stay back in Australia, like my future kids, culture, society’s attitude and etc. But let's just say I prefer to stay in this OZ land and ignore my "duty" back in Malaysia because I feel no obligations towards it. As for other overseas students, make your own decision, because no one else should decide your future other than yourself.
Related Links:Tomatoinc - Why do oversea students don't go back to Malaysia?Hustler Diaries - Is Discrimination approved by GOD?

No comments: